Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Jewish Dance

On my lunch break, I walked out to get a smoothie. As I walked away from the smoothie shop in the mall, a girl at the cosmetics stand was handing out samples of hand cream. She placed a packet in my hand, and looked intently at my chest, where the Star of David hung below my collar bones. After a little squint, her eyes brightened. You’re Jewish! She smiled. And she did a little dance. So this is what it’s like. When Christians recognize each other, it's like suddenly everybody is miserable under their joy. When people see that you’re Jewish, they don’t just commiserate with you, they get happy. They want to dance. They want to help you. They want to do things for you. This makes me happy. This makes me want to be Jewish even more. This makes me want to do a little dance.

No comments: